Selecting a divorce lawyer is an important task. It’s up to you to decide whether or not you are ready for divorce, but it’s also your job to have the best divorce attorney possible on your side.
- Know the basics of divorce law. A divorce lawyer isn’t just for divorce either. He or she can help with child custody issues and property division as well if needed, so make sure that you tell the divorce lawyer everything instead of trying to keep things quiet in order to avoid high legal fees later on.
- A good divorce attorney will fight for what is fair, not necessarily what is most profitable. It might be tempting to look out for number one by only looking for divorce lawyers who are willing to take your case on a “contingency fee” basis; after all, you won’t have to pay the divorce lawyer anything unless he or she wins something in the divorce settlement. However, you also need to be wary of divorce lawyers who push you into taking settlements that are way too small.
- The divorce attorney with the most experience is not always necessarily the best divorce attorney for your case. Experience is important when it comes to divorce law, but so is legal expertise and knowledge of family law. It’s also incredibly helpful if your divorce attorney has worked on cases similar to yours before because they’ll have more insight on what strategies might work out in court but don’t make the decision on divorce lawyers solely on this one factor.
- Don’t be intimidated by divorce attorneys, and don’t let divorce attorneys intimidate you. A divorce attorney is there to help you with your problems; he or she isn’t trying to trick you or fool you with legal mumbo jumbo. If a divorce lawyer sounds like they’re talking down to you in an effort to scare you into giving up and accepting a settlement, find another divorce attorney who will respect both your knowledge of divorce law and your intelligence. Don’t let them treat you like a child because that doesn’t do anyone any favors when it comes time for negotiations!
- Ask divorce lawyers how many cases similar to yours they have won recently. A divorce attorney with lots of experience will have worked on hundreds if not thousands of divorce cases, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that he or she will win your case just because they’ve won similar ones in the past. However, different divorce firms work differently when it comes to fees. Some divorce lawyers will charge more than others even though they might not be as good at divorce law. That is why it’s so important to find out how many cases like yours your divorce lawyer has recently won; this information should give you an idea about how much you’ll need to pay them!
Following these tips should help you choose the divorce lawyer that is right for you and your divorce case. It’s also important to remember that divorce cases can be financially burdensome, which is why you should check out family law services like Monarch Family Law – it might save you a lot of time and money!